A line that crosses the river has many uses:
- A floating tag line (line with a float like a life jacket) provides a safe way to assist someone stuck in a hydraulic like a low head dam.
- A stabilization line can provide support for a trapped boater to help them keep their head out of the water.
- A snag line (weighted in the middle) can be used to safely free someone from a foot entrapment.
- Equipment and people can quickly traverse the creek via a line crossing. Here is a video of a zip line crossing: Zip Line Crossing.
- A variation of this technique is used to safely lower a boat as a platform or a rescuer in a rescue PFD.
This is a great skill to master.